Kansas-150 Art Competition
Call for Entries and Prospectus
Entry Deadline March 1, 2011
About “Kansas 150”
In 2011, Kansas will celebrate 150 years of statehood. Communities, individuals and state agencies throughout Kansas are planning events to commemorate the 150-year milestone. Through our involvement with Savor Kansas, a new grassroots effort that includes numerous organizations coming together to celebrate and showcase Kansas’ arts and culture, SouthWind Gallery has established the Kansas-150 Art Competition. Savor Kansas will take place in Topeka, from June 1, 2011 through June 30, 2011, and will feature events involving visual arts, performing arts and culinary arts.
Art Competition: Awards & Book Publication
The Kansas-150 Art Competition is a juried competition in which jurors will select 150 works for exhibition and sale by SouthWind Gallery. Three artists will be awarded monetary prizes for their artwork. These awards are:
1st Place, $1,000
2nd Place, $750
3rd Place, $500
In addition, a number of Purchase Awards, funded by corporate and individual patrons, will be given to artists whose works are selected from the 150 entries. SouthWind Gallery will host an awards ceremony and sale of the Top 150 artworks at a gala on June 25, 2011 and will exhibit the art in its gallery from June 3, 2011-July 15, 2011. SouthWind Gallery also will publish an art book that showcases all 150 pieces of art, and includes information about each of the artists whose work is selected.
The SouthWind Gallery “Kansas-150 Art Competition” is open to all artists over the age of 18, working in two-dimensional media, who presently reside in, or have previously resided in Kansas, or have ties to the state.
The submitted artwork must draw its inspiration from the state of Kansas. That inspiration may include, but is not limited to depictions of rural landscapes, cityscapes, people, animals, city life, rural life, state landmarks and monuments, state or city parks and recreational areas. Paintings of historical Kansas events and indigenous plant or animal paintings are also acceptable.
Neil Patterson, OPAM, President, Oil Painters of America, and Kristen Hoerth, Editor in Chief, Southwest Art Magazine will head the panel of jurors
Fee: $50 for the first work submitted; $10 for an additional work.
No submissions will be viewed until entry forms and fees are received.
All fees are non-refundable.
Deadline for Entries:
Images, fees & entry forms must be postmarked by: March 1, 2011.
Artwork must be original, no more than two years old and not previously exhibited. Only two-dimensional art will be accepted. The art may be in one or more of the following mediums: Oil, watercolor, scratchboard, acrylic, gouache, alkyd, tempera, casein, pastel, colored pencil, pen and ink and photography are accepted. If you have a question regarding your media, please call or e-mail. Computer generated/or computer enhanced art will not be accepted.
Image size of artwork (not including frame and/or mat) is limited to 720 square inches. Image size is determined by multiplying the horizontal and vertical dimensions. (Example: a 24-inch by 30-inch painting would equal 720 square inches.)
All works must be framed and ready to hang with wire. Works on paper should be glazed with acrylic only and entire weight of piece should not exceed 35 lbs. SouthWind Gallery reserves the right to exclude any work that does not meet specifications or which presents complex exhibit challenges.
Selection will be made from digital images only. Digital images may be e-mailed or sent on a CD to SouthWind Gallery. Artist must complete an Entry Form. Forms may be completed online and emailed or downloaded and mailed with the CD. Materials will not be returned.
- Submission is by DIGITAL FILE ONLY in JPEG format. Digital files may be generated by scanning, or high quality digital photography of the original art. Remember, this is the file from which your entries will be judged.
- An optimum file size of at least 5Megabytes is suggested as a guideline. The image should be no larger than 1600px by 1600px.
- Computer color correcting ONLY to accurately represent the original art in color, contrast, saturation, etc is acceptable.
- Files should be of full image only. Artwork should fill the image area of the digital file as completely as possible. Frame, mat, fingers, etc should not show in the digital image. Make the artwork the center of attention when it is shown on the large monitor for judging.
- In anticipation of acceptance and for inclusion in the book, please include a 300-word biography and a photograph (head and shoulders shot only) of the artist at this time. Please refer to optimum file size above for the photo file.
If entry is sent by mailing a CD:
- Multiple entries should be submitted on a single CD.
- Include a text file on the CD with clear identification of each artwork submitted with (1) image file name, (2) name of artist, (3) title of work, (4) medium, (5) dimensions of artwork image size, (6) dimensions of framed work, (7) retail price, and (8) month and year artwork was created.
- CDs must be labeled clearly and legibly with permanent marker on the topside of the CD, with the artist’s first and last name, and the full title of the painting(s). (Please do NOT apply paper labels to the CD.)
- CD will NOT be returned.
- Please attach your entry forms to the CD case or with it in an envelope.
- We must be able to match your entry form with your entries.
If entry is sent by e-mail:
- Please send each image in a separate email.
- In the body of the e-mail, clearly identify the artwork with (1) image file name, (2) name of artist, (3) title of work, (4) medium, (5) dimensions of artwork image size, (6) dimensions of framed work, (7) retail price, and (8) month and year artwork was created.
- Use the same e-mail address that you have used on your Entry Form. (We must be able to match your entry form with your entries.)
Fax Entry Form to: 785-273-2191
U.S. Mail: SouthWind Gallery
3074 SW 29th,
Topeka, KS 66614
Method of Payment:
- Checks or Money Orders: Make payable to: SouthWind Gallery
- Credit Cards: If paying with a credit card, you may use
Paypal® User ID: email@example.com
- Do NOT send cash
Send Payment to:
U.S. Mail: SouthWind Gallery
3074 SW 29th,
Topeka, KS 66614
Sales & Commissions
All works submitted must be for sale to be eligible for exhibit. Artists will receive a 50 percent commission on all sales. Commissions will be paid by SouthWind Gallery within 30 days of date of sale.
Use of Art for Publicity, Book Publication & Print Sales
Submission of a digital image and entry fee payment by the artist is evidence of agreement for SouthWind Gallery to reproduce your artwork in a book, to be published and sold by SouthWind Gallery, displayed on the SouthWind Gallery web site, for educational purposes or other publicity to promote the exhibition. Terms and conditions for this agreement can be found at www.southwindartgallery.com/agreement.php. Please read the agreement in its entirety.
SouthWind Gallery exercises the same care and respect for the art accepted for this competition as it does for its own property. However, SouthWind Gallery does not insure art while in transit or while being exhibited for sale offsite or in SouthWind Gallery. Artists should provide their own insurance.
Conditions of Acceptance
All shipped work must arrive prepaid to SouthWind Gallery by May 2, 2011, in reusable cardboard shipping containers. We suggest using a foam lined strong box specially designed for art shipping. Please be considerate to our artwork handler when packing your work. Please Do NOT use packing pellets or Styrofoam peanuts as packing material. Wooden crates also are not acceptable. If packing pellets, Styrofoam peanuts, or wooden crates are used, the artwork will not be unpacked or displayed. SouthWind Gallery reserves the right to reject any packages using unacceptable materials as described above. Gallery will require artist to provide a short biography (300 words max) and a color digital photograph of the artist (head and shoulders shot only.)
Notice of Acceptance
SouthWind Gallery will notify artists whose works are accepted for the Kansas-150 Art Competition and the top three award winners on April 15, 2011, and will post winners’ names on the SouthWind Gallery web site at that time.
Accepted Work Due
Artists’ works accepted for the KS-150 Art Competition are to be delivered to SouthWind Gallery on or before May 2, 2011.
Note: For Art Delivered in Person
All work must arrive at SouthWind Gallery by May 2, 2011, in reusable cardboard shipping containers. Art deliveries may be made during the following business hours
- Mon. – Fri.,10:00 am. – 5:00 pm
- Sat., 10:00 am – 3:00 pm.
Return of Art
Artists must include a prepaid shipping label with their work if it is to be returned by mail. (If address is a P.O. Box, please include an alternative shipping address. Commercial carriers will not deliver to P.O. Boxes.)
Note: for Art Picked Up In Person
Artists must pick up their unsold art at SouthWind Gallery by July 22, 2011, during the following business hours: Mon. – Fri., 10 - 5; and Sat., 10 – 3.
The Kansas-150 Art Competition Awards Ceremony and Artists’ Reception will be held in conjunction with the Savor Kansas Gala June 25, 2011.
1st Place Award $1,000
2nd Place Award $750
3rd Place Award $500
Kansas-150 Art Competition
|Entry Deadline||March 1, 2011|
|Notification of Acceptance||April 15, 2011|
|Deadline for Artwork to Gallery||May 2, 2011|
|Awards Celebration||June 25, 2011|
SouthWind Gallery Exhibit of KS-150 Art
|June 3 – July 15, 2011|
Art Pick Up
Unsold art is to be picked up at SouthWind Gallery by: July 22, 2011.
Gallery Hours: M-F, 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.; Sat, 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Unsold art shipped to artist on: July 22, 2011
Questions? Contact us:
SouthWind Gallery, 3074 SW 29th, Topeka, KS 66614
Voice: 785.273.5994 or 888.256.5994